Friday, July 02, 2010

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Office...

Today as I was walking back to the office whilst on the tail-end of my lunchbreak, I saw an advertisement on the back of a bus. It was a largish ad with a couple of wine glasses and beer bottles and the words, in cursive: "Don't take the cat."

As I am an Englishman by both descent and inclination, I was immediately affronted. While I have no idea where it was suggesting I shouldn't take my cat, It seemed to me that although I rarely take my cat anywhere, whenever I do I generally have a pretty good reason and, frankly, am not about to be arbitrarily gainsaid by a bit of vinyl tacked on the side of public transport.

It was about then I realised it actually said "Don't take the car" and was, presumably, about the dangers inherent in drink-driving. I felt a bit strange after that.

1 comment:

d c white said...

Hmm. Insightful comments, both. Mr Ngyuen, while I agree in principle with your assertation of the death of the post-modern zeitgeist, I must admit that Ms Ha's comment regarding the winter-summer rebirth cycle in modern literature is a compelling one.