Monday, January 25, 2010

More Random Doobings

"God damn it!" declared Captain Doobie forcefully as he entered the loungeroom.
Goodtime Slim looked up from his Big Book For Important People**.
"I beg your pardon?" he said, mildly miffed at the sudden intrusion.
"I was at the shops just now and I heard the Beatles singing 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and now i've got it stuck in my head."
Goodtime Slim nodded. "Ah," he said, "that old chestnut. You have my sympathies."
He had just settled down to his book again when Captain Doobie, whom he had thought was finished, started talking again. Captain Doobie did this a lot.
"It's true what they say, you know," Captain Doobie said.
"It usually is," replied Goodtime Slim, "what in particular do they say in this instance?"
Captain Doobie's brow grew dark and he crossed himself. Leaning in close to Goodtime Slim he said in a voice that was little more than a whisper, "They say that John Lennon made a deal with the devil himself. They say that he stood at a crossroads at midnight on Hallowe'en and sold Old Scratch his soul in exchange for being able to play the blues."
Despite his housemate's best efforts to make the world a scarier place Goodtime Slim remained deadpan. "No," he told Captain Doobie, "he didn't."
"He did!"
"No he didn't. You're getting him confused with that other bloke. Robert Jordan."
This gave Captain Doobie pause for thought. "Robert Jordan? "
"Yes."
"Are you telling me that the author of the Wheel of Time series was the world's best blues guitarist?"
"Yes."
"I'm glad," said Captain Doobie, "because his books were shit."

*By which I mean more of the random doobings, not doobings that are any more random than normal.
** Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.

No comments: