Friday, February 06, 2009

Copper Kettles?

As my mother is awfully fond of saying, there is little in this world which cannot be solved with a nice cup of tea. The truth of this statement has become readily obvious to me as I have slowly but surely come under the spell of the dreaded weed. I mainly drink it at work, it must be said, and recently I noticed something rather strange, almost incongruous if you will, regarding the work kettle.
The work kettle is one of those industrial-size wall-mounted urn affairs, nothing more than a white box on the wall with a spigot attached to the lower part. Its always hot and raring to go, and many a jolly decent cup of char has been brewed thereon. It was whilst brewing a thoughtful mug of formosan recently that I noticed something that had always been on the kettle, but that I had never noticed. It was one of those stickers instructing people of the number for police assistance.
I mean, really. How often do I look to the kettle during an emergency situations? For succour and solace certainly, but not whilst being chased by homocidal maniacs with chainsaws. The idea is frankly preposterous. Its a given in my life that any situation requiring tea will not require the intervention of the constabulary. I keep those facets of my life seperate, and intend to continue.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can recommend chai teabags. oh, and a spellchecker :)

M J Meakins said...

I believe it's a relic of the days of yore, when everyone in the office gathered around the kettle for morning tea imbibition. Nowadays, of course, everyone goes to the coffee place across the road, to spend upwards of four dollars on a paper cup filled with everything from ground cinnamon to chocolate to soy milk, with the occasional dash of coffee. Therefore, it follows that perhaps it's time for these emergency numbers to find their way onto the plastic lids of these cups, or onto the foreheads of the serving baristas by way of tattooing.