Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Where Did You Get That Hat?

Here on The Impertinence Of It All, I like to help out with the very latest in fashion advice, so i've decided to add a regular column wherein people may ask my advice about hats.

Dear The Impertinence Of It All,

I have recently invested in a rather smashing trilby and wish to know the correct angle to wear it at? I do not wish to appear a poltroon.

Yours,

P G Wodehouse (deceased).

Well, Plum, it just so happens that the very latest issue of 'Briar Pipe' magazine has the answer for you in the following chart*:

10 degrees; dashing
15 degrees; raffish
22 degrees; jaunty
27 degrees; rakish

Anything over 27 degrees is never to be seen. Chico Marx regularly wore his hats between 50 and 70 degrees. I think this speaks for itself.

*all angles are measured between the brim and the horizontal plane.

1 comment:

Chris Lewis said...

Well. That's an eerily timed update, as only two days prior to your post I have myself invested in a rather smashing trilby. Damnably eerie.