Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Why Citroen Suck.

Pricing was announced today for the Citroen DS3. I had my eye on the DS3 Racing, a turboed, worked version with 150kW.

Today it was announced that the base model, 70kW dunger version would start at $32000.

WTF??? The dealer i've been talking to tried to tell me that this was 'in line' with the Mini Cooper S and the Alfa Mito. Cars that, I reminded him, I have already failed to buy because I consider them ridiculously overpriced.

I then reminded him of other small hatchbacks in the 70kW range, cars like the Hyundai Getz ($14000), Kia Rio ($13000) and Suzuki Alto ($13000). Granted, the DS3 Racing is likely to be better in handling and quality than these, but the base model probably isn't.

Where is the extra $20000 going? Do they expect me to pay Posh Tax on a bloody French car now? This is the same company that made the 2CV, for crying out loud, a car that shared many characteristics with the Volkswagen Beetle except popularity.

This is ridiculous. The Aussie-built 1.4 Turbo Cruze is looking pretty damn good right now. Hell, compared to the base model DS3 the Kia Cerato Koup has more power, looks better and is almost $10000 cheaper!!!

Why do car companies keep doing this? Why is Skoda a cheap and nasty version of Volkswagen in Europe but a 'premium' brand here? Do they think we don't notice? Thank goodness for the Japanese and the Koreans I say.

No comments: