Thursday, June 21, 2007

Paul McCartney - Memory Almost Full.

Paul McCartney - Memory Almost Full.

A Review.

Whenever I hear an ageing star touting their new album as 'as good as their old stuff', I get nervous. And so it was when I found out about the new McCartney album while reading an interview with McCartney in which he said that there was a lot of vintage Wings sound on there.

However, to my surprise he was right, and there is. It's just not the good stuff. Whenever I think of Wings, I think of Band On The Run, Venus & Mars/Rock Show, Jet, Junior's Farm, Hi Hi Hi, Helen Wheels etc. What we have here is an album full of Silly Love Songs, Let 'Em In, and other similarly forgettable b-side detritus. There's not even anything like Maybe I'm Amazed, My Love or Mull Of Kintyre; songs which lyrically i'm a bit ambivalent on but which admittedly have a power and majesty all of their own. And heaven forbid we might have seen another Admiral Halsey or Picasso's Last Words.

But for all that, it's a nice inoffensive listen. I can see it hanging around in the car. There's nothing jarring or out of place, it's just the side of Wings I wished hadn't happened. If you liked that, you'll love this. It'll probably grow on me.

No comments: