Thursday, September 13, 2007

I Actually Had This Conversation Once.

I Actually Had This Conversation Once.

Today the chaps here at work asked me to order in the usual lot of Christmas cards, for the marketing department to send to all of our customers in celebration of the holiday season. This reminded me of a conversation I had with the marketing section on this very topic a few years back.

Marketing: DC, about these christmas cards you've ordered....
Me: Myess?
Mktg: They've got the nativity on them. And 'Merry Christmas' inside.
Me: Well, yes. They're christmas cards.
Mktg: But what about all of our customers in the middle east?
Me: What about them?
Mktg: They might be offended if we send them a card with 'Merry Christmas' on it.
Me: Then don't send them one.
Mktg: We have to! They're going out to everyone!
Me: Well, i'm a muslim, and i'm not offended by them.
short pause
Mktg: You're a muslim?
Me: Yup.
Mktg: You don't look like a muslim.
Me: I converted earlier this year.
Mktg: Why would anyone choose to become a muslim?
Me: Because my girlfriend looks better with a bag over her head.

The conversation went downhill soon after. To this day, I think the marketing woman still believes me to be a muslim. I'd do something about it, but I really don't care.

No comments: