Monday, July 14, 2008

The Passing Of A Titan...not.

The Passing Of A Titan...not.

Yes, i'll admit that my first reaction to the news that channel 10 has axed Big Brother was one of unrestrained joy. The sheer pleasure I have gained in the last 8 years by simply not watching it cannot possibly equal the relief that I will now get from not having to be inundated with pop-culture references to it.

I do have to thank BB in a small way though. My first iPod was purchased deliberately so I didn't have to listen to the inane, facile dribblings of the contestants whilst I exercised at the gym of an evening. I suppose they get the kudos for that. I also have to thank them for gaining the 'turkey slap' national prominence. I had been using the term for some months previously (thanks to the invaluable Roger's Profanisaurus in Viz Magazine) and it was helpful to not have to explain what it meant every time the vicar came around to tea.

However, what concerns me most is that (as far as pop-culture has made me aware) the current season has not yet finished. This means that there may be as many as nine people (and one dwarf, aparrently) still in the house. I'm also reliably informed that Pamela Anderson and Corey McTwattington may be inside.

So here's my proposal for Channel 10: By all means shut off the power and water and stop the food deliveries, but please tell the contestants that there's been a nuclear war, and for heaven's sake leave the cameras running!!! I want to see Corey drinking out of the toilet while the house turns into something out of Mad Max 2. They've already got one half of Master Blaster, for heaven's sake. That Big Brother should end in a post-apocalyptic war zone is something that i'm very much in favour of.

I'm sure there'd be a great deal of support out there for this proposal.

No comments: