Monday, September 29, 2008

Book Review

Book Review

"Universal Foam: From Cappuccino to the Cosmos" by Sidney Perkowitz.

I picked up "Universal Foam from the Dymocks store in Marion. I was jonesing for something to read, and it had been discounted to the princely sum of $1. It is, with no exceptions, the most boring book in the whole of Christendom. I've read defrosting instructions of the backs of frozen chickens that were more entertaining.

I was mildly interested in the part where the authour looks at aerogel, but that was about it. The whole book is a random and frankly eclectic gathering-together of information, anecdotes and historical discoveries relating to bubbles in a suspension matrix. At 180 pages it works out to 1.8 cents per page, which seems about right.

I'm sure Mr Perkowitz knows a lot about foam, and from the section on beer i'd say he's probably a decent guy, but somewhere, someone convinced him to write this book. And that's just not cricket.

No comments: