Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Teleblog

Teleblog

Recently, a friend of mine blogged that she was feeling a little isolated in that she doesn't own a tv. Well, i'd just like to reassure her by saying that that I do, but last Sunday night I turned it on for the first time in a month. It exists solely for me to watch channel 10's Formula 1 coverage, and that's it. I really can't be bothered with anything else. Over the summer it lay dormant for months until I decided to watch Top Gear on SBS, but after that finished it went into hibernation again.

However, the odds are good that it will be turned on again this Sunday night, to watch Professor Richard Dawkins' excellent look at organised religion: "The Root Of All Evil?" This is on Compass on the ABC, and although i've seen it thanks to t'internet I may turne in again, as it does contain one of my favorite pieces of dialogue. Prof Dawkins is talking to the head priest guy at Lourdes:

Dawkins: Many people come here seeking a cure. What do they actually get?
Priest dude: People get all sorts of things here. A sense of calm, of closure, a sense of health and welllbeing. I think these things are all terribly important.

Dawkins: Yes, but what about a cure?

No comments: