Thursday, July 12, 2007

Zillertaler Schurzenjager: Teure Heimat (A Review)

Zillertaler Schurzenjager: Teure Heimat (A Review)

Germany has one of the largest country & western cultures outside of the US and Australia. As such, when I saw a CD of German trucking songs being sold for $1 at Krypton Discs, I bought it without delay.

And I wasn't disappointed in the least. It's a cracker of an album. Relentlessly chirpy and cheerful, songs like "Wilkommen Europa" have lodged themselves in my brain and refuse to leave. Others, like "Alle Sirenen Gingen Los" (All The Sirens Went Off) promise far more in the way of lyrics, should I ever learn German.

Overall, I like this album. The Germans got into c&w through the American servicemen stationed in their country for the last 50 years, but they've tinged it with their own sound. As well as the slide guitars, banjos and fiddles, you also hear traditional German folk instruments like the tuba and the piano accordion. My c&w collection is much the richer for this album.

P.S. the album title "Teure Heimat", as near as I can figure it means literally "Expensive Homeland" or colloquially "Dear Highway".

No comments: